Monday, August 6, 2007

Week 7 - Wikis

I found the Library Success wiki to be interesting because it compiled ideas from libraries around the country. However, I think it is difficult to come up with a standard definition of "library success." For example, in an entry on programming, a program that drew four adults is touted as a success. In my mind, a well-attended program is a mjor criteria in whether or not it is successful. I wouldn't judge this program as a success. The fact that anyone can enter what they consider to be a success without defining the standards of success can show a drawback of a wiki -- anyone can create an entry, regardless of how accurate such an entry is.

I also looked at the Bull Run Library wiki which is, interestingly, done by a library customer as opposed to the library itself. It is full of good information. I'm not sure a wiki is the most useful format for such information, as it is very text-heavy. When thinking about a public library, I wouldn't use a wiki to learn about current events. To me, a wiki is more about the history -- or a narrative -- than a quick list of events.

No comments: