Monday, August 6, 2007

Week 6 - Web 2.0

I first read Into a new world of librarianship and was enjoying the read until I got to the last paragraph which began, "Librarian 2.0 gets content." I read the "content" as being an adjective meaning satisfied with where one is. I was a little taken aback since this seemed to go against everything previously described as what Librarian 2.0 should be. But as I continued on in the paragraph I realized "content" was the noun, not the verb, and the librarian needs to understand all that comprises libraries.

I then read the Wikipedia entry on Library 2.0, figuring this would give me a jump-start on week 7's wiki lesson as well as provide me with some general information on Library 2.0. I particularly enjoyed the explanation on the debate surrounding Library 2.0. I tend to agree with both sides of the debate. Much of what Library 2.0 advocates is already being done. However, Library 2.0 does encourage a more thorough understanding of and use of technology on the part of the librarian. I know I'm not using all the technology available to me for a variety of reasons, including the fact that I don't have time to learn it all and some that I have learned have not been useful to me. I think it would be good to find a balance between what is useful and what is trendy, but it's hard to determine which is which until a few years have passed.

No comments: